[ltp] acpi sleep vs apm sleep

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:40:44 -0500

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 05:04, Tino Keitel wrote:
> If you mean ACPI S3, read the kernel help for the ACPI sleep support.
> At least in the 2.6 kernel, it is marked as experimental. Furthermore,
> I found this at the end of the help page: "This option is not
> recommended for anyone except those doing driver power management
> development". I don't know if this is different from the 2.4 ACPI
> implementation, though.

I do mean S3 vs. apm suspend_to_ram - sorry not to be more clear.
As far as i can tell that is the appropriate comparison.

I'm just curious if the extra power usage in acpi S3 is by design or
simply a result of the immaturity of the ACPI support in linux 2.6

Somebody asked me about my hardware - it doesn't matter - i'm asking a
theoretical question.

Probably the easiest way to answer this is to see if another os with
better acpi support (eg windows) consumes the same amount of power when
sleeping as linux does.  Since I don't have windows I can't do this test
myself.

thanks for your responses

brad