[ltp] Re: So what _is_ advantage of 2.6 kernel on a Thinkpad?

Alex linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:01:01 -0800

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 05:29, Tod Harter wrote:
> I have to agree. Overall the 2.6 kernel is NOT as stable as a good
> 2.4.20+ with whatever patches you need.I've found a lot of problems, and
> they get worse when you turn on preemption. Audio and Video playback,
> despite the theoretical promise of better scheduling and preemption seem
> to be MUCH inferior. I can't even get XMMS to play an mp3 without
> breaking up every time there is the slightest activity on the desktop,
> and thats on a very high-end workstation, on the A20p its worse. Even

Hrmm. I'm quite the opposite. I'm running the WOLK-2.6 kernel
(wolk.sf.net, a very nice kernel IMHO) and have found the vm and io
scheduling improvements to make a huge difference. I run gentoo, and
have been able to emerge (compile) mozilla, compile a kernel and listen
to a high quality VBR MP3 all at the same time just fine. I've gotten
comparable results with stock 2.6 kernels as well, though WOLK does have
some nice extras. This is all on a t40.