[ltp] Re: So what _is_ advantage of 2.6 kernel on a Thinkpad?

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:14:29 -0600

Tod Harter <tharter@giantelectronicbrain.com> writes:

> Well, the mobo I'm using on my workstation now has AC97 codec for
> sound. I haven't experience with that on 2.4.x, but its pretty
> crappy under 2.6.3. Even with preemption every mouse movement
> generates an audible breakup. There are a lot of possible variables
> and its OT here, but I'm definitely going to go back and compare
> with 2.4.22 and see how it differs.

Hmm.  I may be misremembering, but I believe I had one machine with
that codec using alsa, and sound behaved much better when preemption was
disabled.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu