[ltp] which ram for my thinkpad 240?

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:37:30 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

   On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:12:15 +0100
   Sascha Heid <Sascha_Heid@gmx.de> wrote:

   > Hi all!

   > i would like to upgrade the RAM of my Thinkpad 240 (not 240X) from 64MB
   > to 192MB. I openend it to find out which kind of RAM i need but the
   > onboard-RAMs did not reveal their secret to me and now i have to ask you
   > this probably 1000 times asked question.
   > I also heard about getting 256MB into it if you disable the onboard-RAM,
   > but i dont wanna screw anything up and 192MB will be fine.

   If you have a plain 240 (no X), you can upgrade the RAM to 320MB - you do
   not need to disable the onboard RAM (not that you could do that without
   some pretty advanced soldering skills anyhow... :) ).  If you have a 240X,
   you're stuck with 192MB.

   You need a 256MB PC100 "Low Density" SODIMM - ons with 8 chips per side
   instead of 4.  I know PNY makes/made some suitable chips.  The sticker on
   the one in my wife's 240 says "256MB SDR SODIMM E 32ZES (PO# 115605)".

   There's only one problem with the 320MB upgrade in a 240 ... you lose the
   ability to BIOS hibernate (suspend still works).  For me, it wasn't an
   issue, as I have a good battery.

I recently got this ram from Office Depot online. It is made by PNY,
and the price is going up on this part.

Ken Firestone, W3CAT     | For every problem there is one solution
kenf@speakeasy.net	 |  which is simple, neat, and wrong.
ken@firestone.net        |   -- H. L. Mencken