[ltp] lm_sensors

Mark Houlder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:45:54 +0000

this is all from memory so may not be 100% accurate...

last time i checked, lm_sensors actually had the equivalent of

if(thinkpad) {
   exit(0);
}

in the code (it's in a README somewhere). it was because of a faulty
BIOS or other hardware setup on some thinkpads which, along with system
calls made by lm_sensors, could cause the EEPROM of the computer to be
wiped (or otherwise damaged). the lm_sensors developers therefore
inserted a get-out clause into later versions of lm_sensors to prevent
damage for thinkpads.

whether the most recent lm_sensors still refuses to run on thinkpads, or
whether thinkpads themselves still run such a risk of damage, i can't
say. ever since running lm_sensors, getting no results and then finding a

URGENT WARNING FOR THINKPAD USERS: lm_sensors will destroy your laptop!

post on a mailing list archive somewhere, i haven't bothered with it :)

mark

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)