[ltp] Idle question...

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:26:57 +0000

Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:

>Because of the fact that Knoppix and/or Morphix can be customized almost
>endlessly, I am thinking that maybe the time is right for a customized
>Knoppix/Morphix specifically for ThinkPads.
>
>It would be set up to install all the specific bits and pieces needed for
>ThinkPads, plus various standard Linux goodies.
>
>It should be designed to support every existing ThinkPad that can boot from a
>burnt CD-ROM. The really elderly ThinkPads will be out of luck, but those are
>the ThinkPads which really should use the Debian floppy install then net
>install method.

 That isn't really a problem anymore. I read a post recently about a
bootloader utility (that is on sourceforge if I recall) that allows
older machines to boot from cdrom. It performs the same function as
later BIOS's, telling the machine to boot from the cd first, then
fallback to the harddrive if that fails.

>An alternative would be a customized version of the new Debian Sarge
>installer. There are customization utilities for that.
>
>Yeah, they are all Debian variants. Debian is getting much easier to install
>now, and Debian's implementation of apt-get makes it the easiest version of
>Linux to maintain.
>
>Call it ThinkKnoppix, ThinkMorphix or ThinkDebian or George, I don't care. An
>installer that could be set up to anticipate things like finding the elusive
>sound card on a 600 series and wouldn't be confused by the MWave modem, an
>installer which would result in a Linux install that "just works" on any
>ThinkPad. It's doable, isn't it?

  I like the idea, but I would consider Woody instead of Sarge. Sound
works fine on my 600 with Woody, but I have had trouble getting it to
work under Sarge every time that I have tried it. Maybe a mix of Woody
and Sarge would be better?

    Jeff