[ltp] At a Standstill with 770z

Jon Flanders linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:20:49 -0500

I would be curious to see a working ALSA config from modules.conf.

Also, would ISAPNP need to be disabled at bootup? If so, how? Right now
if I try to get modules.conf to see the card as a 42xx or snd-42xx, at
bootup it goes right back to 46xx.

I tried the IBM instructions  for the 600 and Redhat, the one with the
symbolic link and script. I must have missed something because it didn't
work.

The pcmcia cards I have tried for wireless are a Belkin  PCMCIA WIRELESS
NOTEBOOK CARD F5D6020, version 2,  and a D-Link DWL-650 Wireless Cardbus
Adapter, which is recognized as an RTL8180. The Belkin is listed as
unsupported at bootup and all my attempts to find a driver are to no
avail.

One thing I have learned is that you just can't pick a card name that is
reported to work with Linux and go. The manufacturers keep changing
chipsets. This is truly a PITA.

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said though, while I have learned a few
things, this is way too hard for even a fairly sophisticated "power
user." The best way to sell Linux on laptops at the moment would be to
have them preloaded.

Jon Flanders