[ltp] KDE crashes but not Gnome after suspend

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:46:48 -0500

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) wrote:

>I now reach out to LTP-community for some guidance... Has anyone experienced similar problems? Solution? How should I start troubleshooting the problem? What are the relevant log-files I should look at?

/var/log/XFree86.0.log

is going to be your main source of information. I don't think KDE itself
really keeps any particular log files. You could go to run level 3, log
in via console, run 'startx' and then go ahead and sleep and restore and
see what happens, you may end up with some useful information on the
console after X crashes.

>Also, what role does the Display Manager (KDM, XDM, etc.) play?

The Display Manager implements the XDCMP protocol, which stands for X
Display Control Messaging Protocol. Its a way for an X server to put up
a login screen and wait for input basically. So when your box comes up
into run level 5 the inittab file tells init to initiate an display
manager. The display manager then initiates an X session and generally
puts a login prompt on the screen. From there it acts pretty much just
like the normal login program. When you log the display manager
terminates, init fires up a new one, and the cycle continues. XDCMP has
a lot of other features and most display managers are fairly
configurable. It should make little difference which one you use.

--

Tod Harter
Principal Developer