[ltp] ATTENTION T40/41/4*p OWNERS!

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:34:44 -0500 (EST)

	If your system doesn't have cpudyn or cpufreq and you boot on AC,
your CPU will be at full speed forever.  Perhaps this accounts for the fan
being on all the time (and rotten battery life too).  When I activated
cpufreqd in SuSE 9, the battery life on my T40p, well, perhaps didn't
double, but certainly improved significantly.  At the moment, writing
e-mail, the CPU is at 600MHz and the fan is, if not completely off, at
least at a very low speed with no significant noise.  If I kick off a
compile, it shoots up in MHz and the fan noise kicks in pretty quickly.

Aaron