[ltp] At a Standstill with 770z

Andrew Gaffney linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:25:19 -0600

Jon Flanders wrote:
> I would be curious to see a working ALSA config from modules.conf.

Relevant portion of modules.conf:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1
options snd-cs4236 index=0 id=CardZero enable=1 cport=0x538 port=0x530 fm_port=0x388
sb_port=0x220 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0 isapnp=0

> Also, would ISAPNP need to be disabled at bootup? If so, how? Right now
> if I try to get modules.conf to see the card as a 42xx or snd-42xx, at
> bootup it goes right back to 46xx.

Make sure to disable QuickBoot in the BIOS and turn off support for ISA PnP in the kernel.

I believe http://acx100.sourceforge.net/ should help with the DWL-650.

> One thing I have learned is that you just can't pick a card name that is
> reported to work with Linux and go. The manufacturers keep changing
> chipsets. This is truly a PITA.

No kidding. I use a DWL-AB650 wireless PCMCIA NIC and it uses a completely different
chipset (Atheros - http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/)

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator