[ltp] At a Standstill with 770z

Jon Flanders linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:12:46 -0500

Interesting experience today with the saga of Linux on the 770z. I
picked up a Xircom 56 modem and ethernet card on EBay to see if I could
get a modem working, not wanting to finagle with the internal winmodem.

When I stuck the card in the first time lo and behold it was recognized
in the boot up sequence and so was the Belkin! However when I went to
Mandrake Control Center only the Xircom was listed. I tried to configure
it there, but the result was zero, since I don't have a dongle for the
modem  or ethernet yet.

I ended up taking it out for now. At boot up the cardmanager no longer
detects the Belkin card visibly, there are no error messages about an
unsupported card. Nothing.

So it goes. I think I will do a reinstall via the upgrade option soon.

Jon Flanders