[ltp] No sound on T41 (working!)

Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:16:33 +0200

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:58:07AM -0800, Colin Bennett wrote:
> One problem remains, however. And this is because the audio card is a
> cheap piece of shiznit. There is no hardware PCM mixing so only one
> program can open the sound card at a time. I searched around and found
> that using the ALSA plugin 'dmix' does software mixing at the expense
> of some quality. I tried to set up dmix but couldn't get it to work. (I
> got the PCM device working, but programs like xmms couldn't find the
> mixer device after that for some reason.)

Do you have an entry like this in your ~/.asoundrc:

  ctl.mixer0 {
      type hw
      card 0        # this should probably be card 1 in your case
  }

?

One unexpected bonus that I got from setting up dmix was that mp3
playing no longer skips when I switch workspaces in my window manager.

> I think I'll try JACK (the JACK Audio Connection Kit) and see if it can
> do the PCM mixing for me, allowing me to use JACK output for programs
> which should provide vastly better latency.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
If you want to trick a pointy-haired boss into letting you write software in
Lisp, you could try telling him it's XML.
		-- http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW--