[ltp] R40 centrino wireless *almost* working

Andreas D. Landmark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:38:16 +0100

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 03:05:51PM -0800, Krishna Sethuraman wrote:
> Wireless under Linux won't associate with an AP, but seems to have all
> other signs of life.  Can someone give me the right iwconfig commands
> that they use to get it to associate with an AP such as Starbucks
> T-mobile, or a 'hotspotzz' site?
>
> I arrive at the (e.g.) Starbucks and:
>
> modprobe ndiswrapper
>
> iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
> iwconfig wlan0 power all
> iwconfig wlan0 essid any
> iwconfig wlan0 ap any

I haven't used any of the hotspots you've mentioned, but in my
experience setting essid to any doesn't do anything for me.
IE. the card doesn't assosciate properly to the strongest network.
Setting ESSID manually works like a gem every time.

So i usually just do:

modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfig wlan0 essid "My Network"
dhclient wlan0

(and your optional vpnc-connect here).
that works everytime...

> P.S. Thinkpad R40 2897B4U 1.40GHz, Centrino wireless (PRO/Wireless 2100
> B mini-pci).  Debian sarge,
> ndiswrapper-0.5 compiled using kernel-headers-2.4.25-1-386 loading XP
> 'w70n51' v.1.2.11 drivers (from IBM's website?).  Running
> kernel-image-2.4.25-1-386.

My system is pretty much the same, apart from running 2.6.3.

> P.P.S. Xinerama works beautifully on this system.  I'm preparing this
> system for my brother, and almost don't want to turn it over to him :-)

Xinerama between LCD and the VGA-port ?
(you haven't by anychance tested the SVHS port? I haven't gotten around
to it yet, but I'm somewhat curious to whether or not it works under
linux. I've seen indications both ways via google...)

--
Andreas D. Landmark / noXtension
If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest