[ltp] Buying a T41p

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:09:50 -0600

Cameron McCormack <cam-linux-thinkpad@aka.mcc.id.au> writes:

> Well this sounds great!  My housemate has a plain P4 2.4GHz Toshiba
> and it seems a bit sluggish.  If these Pentium Ms are much better
> and lower power, why don't they use them in desktop machines?

I think I heard that DFI demonstrated a Pentium-M desktop motherboard
at CEBIT, and it looks like Intel's going to re-name their chips to
quit harping on frequencies, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see
something like that eventually.

> I probably won't be needing 3D acceleration much, so I'd happily
> trade it for the ability to suspend.

FWIW, I use 2.6.4's swsusp support with ACPI.

> What is the difference between cpufreqd and powernowd?

Don't know.  I've only used powernowd and I can't recall why I picked
it over cpufreqd.  Oh, and you may want to configure your kernel with
enhanced speedstep and without the other drivers.  At least a couple
of kernel versions back my machine would pick the "wrong one" at
startup when there were a number of driver choices.

> What are these "Express Savers"?  I can't see any mention of them on
> the IBM site.

Actually, it might be "think express program".  I don't know if their
site's the same in every country, but I think I had been going to
"products and services", "notebooks", "T series", "view all models",
or similar.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu