[ltp] Buying a T41p

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:32:49 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> > If these Pentium Ms are much better and lower power, why don't
> > they use them in desktop machines?

> 	Because they're more expensive.  The margins are so low on
> desktops that the manufacturers want to squeze every cent out of it,

I agree on this one.

And for an alternative - checkout Athlon64. It should have comparable
performance with the short pipeline and 1MB L2 cache - simiar to P-M.

And it has 'Cool & Quiet' - and some motherboards support it - If the
kernel driver (powernow-k8) works - then cpudyn/cpufreq/other stuff
can bring down the power consumption

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3200_4.html

However - I have no personal experience with this stuff.

Satish