[ltp] Re: R40 centrino wireless *almost* working

Andreas D. Landmark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:37:55 +0200

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:04:40AM +0100, dirk husemann wrote:
> On Friday 26 March 2004 14.38, Andreas D. Landmark wrote to
> linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org:
> > On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 03:05:51PM -0800, Krishna Sethuraman wrote:
> > > Wireless under Linux won't associate with an AP, but seems to have all
> > > other signs of life.  Can someone give me the right iwconfig commands
> > > that they use to get it to associate with an AP such as Starbucks
> > > T-mobile, or a 'hotspotzz' site?
> > >
> > > I arrive at the (e.g.) Starbucks and:
> > >
> > > modprobe ndiswrapper
> > >
> > > iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
> > > iwconfig wlan0 power all
> > > iwconfig wlan0 essid any
> > > iwconfig wlan0 ap any
> >
> > I haven't used any of the hotspots you've mentioned, but in my
> > experience setting essid to any doesn't do anything for me.
>
> not sure about the ndiswrapper driver, but what i do if i want to associate
> with a hotspot AP is
>
> 	iwlist eth1 scan
>
> that will give me a list of ESSIDs in my environment, then use the ESSID
> explicitly usually does the trick.

This works with the ndiswrapper driver too, with the added bonus that
WEP works with ndiswrapper, which it doesn't with the IPW2100 driver
yet...

--
Andreas D. Landmark / noXtension
If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest