[ltp] T30 Motherboard replacement

Seth Kulick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:18:09 -0500

Upon brining my T30 out of suspend this morning (it was in Linux), it
totally flaked out, with the display getting garbled and then becoming
completely unreadable.  After waiting a while, rebooting into either XP or
Linux had the same effect - would be okay for about a minute, and then
disintegrate.  Hooking it up to an external monitor showed the same thing
on the monitor.  I just talked to an IBM rep, and they're sending somebody
out tomorrow for on-site repair, with a replacement motherboard.  Hopefully
that will take care of it, and I won't need to ship it off for a week.
And yeah, it has 512 but was only reading 256 - I hadn't actually noticed
until last week, after reading the comments on here.  I should have moved
faster on taking care of it.

My T30 is setup as a dualboot, with C:\BOOT.INI modified to allow booting
into Linux - Redhat 8.0. I'm hoping that everything will continue to work
fine after the motherboard replacement, but I'm wondering if there's anything
I should be concerned about.  They're saying that as part of the motherboard
replacement the bios will be updated from 1.01 (5/02) to 2.06 - the major
difference being better thermal control.  Is that anything that could cause
problems for 8.0, or am I going to have to reinstall it?