[ltp] [not really Linux] Capabilities of the DVD drive on R40

Carlo Hamalainen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:53:14 +0100

Alexander Gran wrote:

>My T40p CD/DVD reads DVD-R, DVD+R but not the -RW media.

My T40 (with a CD/DVD drive, no burning capability) can handle -R and
-RW media, but not +R stuff. Weird.

I got the impression that the firmware upgrade (mentioned in this
thread) lets the drive read + and - discs, but is there any way to avoid
making 6 floppies? I'm not really keen on buying an external floppy
drive to update some firmware.

For that matter, why is most of the bios/firmware for these Thinkpads
coming out on floppy? Surely there's a better way?

-- Carlo