[ltp] [not really Linux] Capabilities of the DVD drive on R40

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:22:55 -0600

I finally solved it. After a firmware-upgrade I can now read both DVD+R and DVD+RW. This is what I did:

1) From http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-41020 I downloaded the correct file (after trial-and-error I found out that I needed fwdr1605.exe).
2) On my desktop running WinXP (and with a floppy), I created the bootable floppy.
3) Following Bart's steps (http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd) I created I bootable CD with the extracted IBM files. (AFAIK: Nero's bootable CD did not support extended memory - needed by the flash-program.)
4) I booted my R40 with the newly created CD (using the emm386-option).
5) I ran fw.exe, it said that my drive needed updated firmware (new version 0214), and it asked me to put the disk FWDR1605 into A:. The problem was that A: had the boot-image, and R: had my firmware files (as config'd by Bart).
6) Instead I ran the file 42upi214.exe, which I without too many braincells figured out was my correct firmware.
7) Three minute later, and after a fresh re-boot, I could read DVD+R and DVD+RW... :)

T.

Note: Always use common sense when upgrading firmware. You may ruin the drive.