[ltp] Re: Syncing various data with a desktop (configs, bookmarks and such)

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:25:34 +1000

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:
> There are a few things I've been wanting in terms of moving between my
> laptop and my desktop PC.
>
> 1) I'd like to be able to sync some key items, such as my Epiphany
> bookmarks and maybe my ~/Graphics/ or ~/Documents/ directories.
>
> 2) I'd like to be able to have some automagic mounting going on with
> my laptop when it is booted on my home network. I'm not sure where to
> start with this but I would at very least like my laptop to auto-mount
> some share directories if it can figure out that it is running on my
> home network.

Both of these things can be done with packages like 'whereami', which
are designed to configure the network and system of mobile devices based
on discovering what network they are on.

<http://debiana.net/whereami/>

> Ideally, I'd like my desktop to mount my laptop when the laptop boots
> on the network.

I can see two options there:  either have the laptop tell the server
"I am here", and the server mounts it, or the server polls for presence.

I don't know of anything out of the box to make either work.

  Daniel

--
Bad science and bad religion simply swap roles,
the former proclaiming Truth, the latter worshiping Doubt.