[ltp] Syncing various data with a desktop (configs, bookmarks and such)

Loic Minier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:01:06 +0200

Tom von Schwerdtner <tvon@etria.com> - Mon, Mar 29, 2004:

> 1) I'd like to be able to sync some key items, such as my Epiphany
> bookmarks and maybe my ~/Graphics/ or ~/Documents/ directories.

 I bound ^S to my mail synchronizing, you're free to bind any key to
 rsync or unison or whatever you like, depends on what you want to
 synchronize with.

> 2) I'd like to be able to have some automagic mounting going on with my
> laptop when it is booted on my home network.  I'm not sure where to
> start with this but I would at very least like my laptop to auto-mount
> some share directories if it can figure out that it is running on my
> home network.  Ideally, I'd like my desktop to mount my laptop when the
> laptop boots on the network.

 Under Debian, I use an experimental package named ifupdown-roam which
 captures some of the functionality of network tools to detect your
 current network.  It is still far from perfect.
   Combined with ifplugd, I only have to plug the ethernet cable at the
 office or home, and the profile is automatically detected, the mail
 relay is set accordingly, and my firewall rules updated.

 If your interfaces are going up and down via an ifup mechanism, you can
 probably add "up" and "down" command to your /etc/network/interfaces to
 mount whatever you want...

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>