[ltp] Syncing various data with a desktop (configs, bookmarks and such)

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:58:02 +0100

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 02:45, Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:
> There are a few things I've been wanting in terms of moving between
> my laptop and my desktop PC.
>
> 1) I'd like to be able to sync some key items, such as my Epiphany
> bookmarks and maybe my ~/Graphics/ or ~/Documents/ directories.

I use Unison via SSH for this particular problem. Works great! I can
send you some configuration files if you like.

> 2) I'd like to be able to have some automagic mounting going on with
> my laptop when it is booted on my home network.  I'm not sure where
> to start with this but I would at very least like my laptop to
> auto-mount some share directories if it can figure out that it is
> running on my home network.  Ideally, I'd like my desktop to mount my
> laptop when the laptop boots on the network.

While I don't hot-mount anything, I have configured quickswitch to start
and stop services and copy configuration files around if I run
"switchto <profile>". It enables me to fully configure my Gentoo-based
Thinkpad, including runlevel switches (to disable ssh, mysql, etc. when
not at home, but enabling PCMCIA services). I could also provide some
quickswitch configuration files if you liked.

Regards,
Matthias

--
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/