[ltp] Multi-headed desktop with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500

Jeff Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:43:38 -0500

All:

I have a T40, which uses the ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 video card. I am
running SuSE Linux Professional 9.0, fairly stock. I have also booted XP
in the past, but for that I apologize. :-)

Anyway, XP transparently allows me to run this device with both an
external display and the internal laptop display active in a
multi-headed configuration. SuSE, however, does not.

When I attempt to configure a multi-headed desktop using SuSE's YaST2
GUI admin tool, I am told that a multi-headed configuration is not
possible with this hardware. This is obviously incorrect, since, as I
said, XP allows this.

I have also read and tried to implement the Xinerama HOWTO approach.
This does not seem to work for me. However, I may be missing something.

Has anyone successfully implemented a multi-headed configuration using
this card? This is a very, very common card in Thinkpads obviously.
Seems like someone else would have tried this by now.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff