[ltp] Thinkpad 600e, kernel 2.6.4 need sound help please.

Jason Grindlay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:07:41 +0000

Hi,

I've been working on trying to get sound going on my thinkpad 600e for
about two months now with only semi success. I've followed online
documents I've found that told me to turn off quick boot in the thinkpad
bios and set the soundcard to fixed resource settings. I can get the oss
module cs4232 to load, however I get no result from loading the opl3 or
mpu401 modules so no midi support. ALSA is even worse, so far all my
attempts to use those modules result in hard lockups with no apparent
cause. I'd ideally like to get ALSA going since a few apps I have only
support sound via it but midi support through oss would be good too. I'd
greatlly appreciate if somebody could look through the details I'll list
below and tell me what I am doing wrong before I think my laptop out the
window infrustration. Thanks in advance. -Jason

The dos ps2.exe utility lists the following sound settings being set;

Audioctrl, enabled, Address=0x538
Audio, enabled, Address=0x530, IRQ=5, SBaddress=220, DMA 0,1
Midiport enabled, Address=0x330, IRQ=9

I dual boot with windows 98 and those settings all work in there so I
don't think thats the issue.

The relevant parts of my kernel (2.6.4) config are;

<M> Sound card support
<M> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ? ?
? ? <M> Sequencer support ? ?
? ? < > Sequencer dummy client ? ?
? ? [*] OSS API emulation ? ?
? ? <M> OSS Mixer API ? ?
? ? <M> OSS PCM (digital audio) API ? ?
? ? [*] OSS Sequencer API
Generic Devices
<M> Virtual MIDI soundcard ? ?
? ? <M> MOTU MidiTimePiece AV multiport MIDI ? ?
? ? <M> UART16550 - MIDI only driver ? ?
? ? <M> Generic MPU-401 UART driver
ISA Devices
<M> Generic Cirrus Logic CS4231 driver ? ?
? ? <M> Generic Cirrus Logic CS4232 driver ? ?
? ? <M> Generic Cirrus Logic CS4236+ driver
PCI Devices
<M> Cirrus Logic (Sound Fusion) CS4280/CS461x/CS462x/CS463x ? ?
? ?[*] Cirrus Logic (Sound Fusion) New DSP support (EXPERIMENTAL) ? ?
? ?<M> Cirrus Logic (Sound Fusion) CS4281
<M> Open Sound System (DEPRECATED)
?<M> Crystal SoundFusion (CS4280/461x) ? ?
? ?<M> Crystal Sound CS4281
?<M> OSS sound modules
?<M> Crystal CS4232 based (PnP) cards
<M> MPU-401 support (NOT for SB16)
?<M> Yamaha FM synthesizer (YM3812/OPL-3) support

(Yup I know there are more modules than I need but compiling takes an
hour on my system so I felt it was quicker to have everything I might
need on hand)

What I've tried to do to load modules and get sound going is as follows.

modprobe mpu401
modprobe opl3
modprobe cs4232 io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=3 mpuio=0x388 mpuirq=9

That gets me PCM sound under OSS but no midi, adding IO parameters to
the opl3 or mpu401 modules just generates device not found errors.

For ALSA I've tried;

snd-card-cs4236 snd_port=0x530 snd_cport=0x538 snd_mpu_port=-1
snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=0 snd_dma2=1
which gives me an no such device error, if I tack isapn=0 onto it then
the system instantly locks solid with nothing in the logs to say why.

I've read every FAQ and How to I can find on the net and so far nothing
has worked (They all seem to say the above should have worked as I read
them) , I'm really stumped. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me
and sorry for the length but I had to make sure you had all my
configuration information.