[ltp] Aironet Wireless on T40

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:53:17 -0500

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 05:11 am, Siraj Patel wrote:
> To get this far I had to downgrade my firmware to 5.00.03 from 5.40.10.
> This then had repurcussions in when I was booting into xp. When using LEAP
> it authenticates me but fails to give me an IP where with the previous
> firmware it gave me an IP. I've now reverted back to firmware V5.40.10 and
> am back to square 1 in trying to get the wireless working. If it helps I
> will need to use LEAP to connect to the WLAN at work. I'm really on the
> verge of giving up, please help.

If you downgrade the firmware to 5.00.03 (which you have to do to get the
driver to work in Linux) you also have to downgrade the Windows driver to the
one that came with the firmware.  If you just downgraded the firmware without
downgrading the Windows driver, you will have problems with Windows
networking.

If you need to have some of the advanced features of the Windows driver which
requires the later firmware, you might be better off trying to use the XP
driver with ndiswrapper or the driverloader instead of using the native airo
module.

BTW, what kernel version are you using?  I think kernels after 2.4.23 had the
MPI350 built into the airo module, but prior to that you needed to get and
compile airo_mpi.
--
/g