[ltp] Power and graphics on T41p

Calvin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 May 2004 14:13:58 +0200

Hello,

I'm a T40p owner, but I had almost the same problems as you have, so
here is what I found to work them out :

When I was using the ATI's fglrx module, I had the same "garbled screen"
problem, and I couldn't fix it, so I went back to the radeon module,
which works actually quite well. But a few days ago I read somewhere
that it may be the radeonfb framebuffer driver that's messing things up.
I'm now using the vesafb framebuffer driver, with vga=835 in my
lilo.conf file (for 1400x1050 in 24bits color depth), but I haven't
switched back to fglrx module yet.

For power management, it depends on what you're using between ACPI and
APM. I first used ACPI, because I thought it would work better as it is
more recent than APM. I could get it to suspend properly by typing "echo
3 > /proc/acpi/sleep", but it sometimes went wrong when resuming.
Hibernation didn't work at all though, displaying a lot of "Call trace"
lines and ending up by freezing the system sometimes.

Then I read this page, which is one of the best I've seen :
http://mike2k.de/t40.html. I think you should take a look at it !

I know only use APM for power management, and suspend/hibernation works
perfectly. I only miss ACPI for giving me the CPU temperature and some
detailed info about the battery status.

The above link also details how to set up your USB mouse / Trackpoint
for being able to use both of them, and it is also working very well for
me.

I hope this will help you !

	Calvin