[ltp] Suspend to Disk - Kenrel 2.6.4 vs. r50p

Niel Lambrechts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 May 2004 21:58:39 +0200

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 14:26, Joshua Megerman wrote:
> > My way of software-suspending: Grab the mm-Patches, apply them, pass
> > resume=/dev/<yourswappartitionhere> to the kernel, and smile....
> > Works for me with 2.6.5-mm, swsusp.
> >
> I have an R50p too, and the only thing I've gotten to work is using BIOS
> hibernation and APM (no ACPI).  It works perfectly (FN+F12), even though
> suspend (FN+F4/apm --suspend) doesn't restore the video.  The only down side
> is that I need a ~1.7GB FAT partition (1.5GB RAM + 128M VRAM) with the
> suspend file, but it's worth it to have functional hibernation.
>
> I'm using 2.6.4-gentoo with the laptop-mode patch (only) on top of it (not
> that I have that working yet...).  I tried going 2.6.5, but it appears to
> hang the machine somewhere on the sound system and I haven't had time to
> test it further yet.
>
> Has anyone out there found the perfect combination of power management
> configuration, patches and tools for an R50p?  I'm mostly gonna be using it
> plugged in anyway, but maximizing battery life and the ability to suspend(or
> hibernate)/resume are really useful.
>
> Josh
>
> Joshua Megerman
> SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division
> You can't win; You can't break even; You can't even quit the game.
>   - Layman's translation of the Laws of Thermodynamics
> thinkpad@honorablemenschen.com

I have tried all the methods...

APM - suspend-to-ram - safest, but battery life decreases by almost an hour compared to ACPI.
ACPI S3 - with a recompiled dsdt it works reasonable, apart that ehci-hcd fails to work after resuming.

my best/current solution:

ACPI with swsusp - this way, battery life is better, monitoring vastly improved, and usb stays functional.

My philosophy is to use this until ACPI is released as STABLE.

Regards,
Niel