[ltp] T30: Turn off the WiFi Radio?

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 May 2004 15:05:17 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Uwe Walter wrote:

> On Do, 2004-05-06 at 06:17, Atul Chitnis wrote:
> > I just realise that despite my not telling my machine (T30, FC1) to bring
> > up the WiFi interface (IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter) at
>
> So, this is the atheros card with the madwifi driver?

No, this is the Intersil Prism2.5 PCI, and I use it with either hostap_pci
or orinoco_pci drivers.

> (I haven't examined, if "ifconfig ath0 down" would also help. However,
> it does not turn off the LED, so I rely on unloading the modules.)

Isn't there some kind of hardware probe that will tell me the status of
the radio?

> Mike (http://mike2k.de/t40.html) writes, it would use around 500mA. I
> know, my fan does turn on quickly, if I activate the atheros. You can
> probably do the math on the impact of battery lifetime yourself (or just
> test it ;-)).

Actually I have been trying my best, but no matter what I do - 90 minutes
is the max I get out of either of my batteries (I have two of them, and
swap them at least once a week).

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@exocore.com
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 2344-0397