[ltp] ipw2100 firmware hotplug setup on SuSE 9.1 (T40)

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 07 May 2004 07:09:19 -0700

At 06:26 AM 5/7/2004, you wrote:

>Le ven 07/05/2004 =E0 15:06, Tim Prince a =E9crit :
> > I can't find any YaST installation procedure for the ipw2100
> > firmware.  ipw2100 is running, hotplug is running, and I have the=
 firmware
> > file. What do I do with it to have hotplug find it?
> >
> > Tim Prince
>
>In the INSTALL file, there is an explanation of where you need to put
>the firmware so that i will be automatically loaded when the module
>needs it.
>
>On my R50, after having copied the firmware, I was able to do
>
>modprobe ipw2100
>and then just configure the eth1 device
>
>I'm running on Debian/Sid. So I could help for any manual installation
>of the driver but for SuSE specific things ... I won't be very useful
>:-)
>
>Didrik Pinte

> >From the INSTALL file (version 0.42) :

>------- ----    --    -      -        -
>As of v0.33, the IPW2100 supports loading of firmware via the Linux
>firmware
>hotplug capability.  In order to use this, you must enable
>CONFIG_FW_LOADER in
>your kernel configuration.  In 2.6.x this option is enabled via:
>
>         Device Drivers ->
>                 Generic Driver Options ->
>                         Hotplug firmware loading support
>
>In 2.4.x, it can be found here:
>         Library Routines ->
>                 Hotplug firmware loading support
>
>In addition, you will need the Linux hotplug scripts dated later than
>2003_10_07 (if you do not have /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent then you need
>upgrade).
>
>You will also need to have sysfs mounted.  You can do this by adding an
>entry
>to /etc/fstab similar to this:
>
>none            /sys            sysfs   defaults                0
>0
>
>If the directory /sys does not already exist, you will need to create
>it:
>
># mkdir /sys
>
>You can then mount the sysfs partition via:
>
># mount -a
>
>You can obtain the latest hotplug scripts via the following link:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3D17679
>
>Once set up, you can copy ipw2100-1.0.fw into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
>(you
>may need to create that directory).  When the driver requests the
>firmware,
>the hotplug agent will then push the firmware image to it.

Thanks.  This placement of the firmware file is sufficient to start up the=
=20
radio.  I still get a "type-wlan not found" message.  Association with=20
"Wireless" is reported; there is no such network here.  My attempts to set=
=20
iwconfig ap are ignored, may be on the wrong channel.

Tim Prince=20