[ltp] SuSE 9.1 on ThinkPad?

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 7 May 2004 23:04:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Crispin Cowan wrote:

> I am running SuSE 9.1 Pro on a Thinkpad T40. Notable experiences:

>     * The built-in ethernet worked out of the box.
>           o It has a bizarre "dead man walking" problem with respect to
>             suspend. The network interface works after a resume, and
>             then fails mysteriously 20 minutes later.
>           o To fix this problem, do "rmmod e1000" before suspend, and
>             "modprobe e1000" when you want it back.

I see the same problem with FedoraCore2 Test3 snapshot on my T40. Must
be a 2.6 kernel/ ACPI bug. I can get it to fail quickly (after resume)
by invoking a huge file transfer over eth0. No such issue when using
APM.

>     * The kernel is very flaky about recognizing PCMCIA cards. Many
>       different memory cards get recognized as memory_cs and therefore
>       fail to work. I have no idea how to fix this, other than by using
>       the above working drivers for the built-in network hardware.

I've seen this (memory_cs) with early (FC2) beta kernels on a 600E - I
attributed it to failing hardware on the 600E (happend erratically
with the pcmcia card in Socket-0 - but worked correctly with
Socket-1).

However I haven't seen this happen on the T40. The FC2T3 kernel on the
T40 is much newer version (than the one that gave errors on the
600E). Perhaps this issue is already fixed. The current FC2-beta
kernel is 2.6.6-rc3+

>           o However, if the machine has been suspended before plugging
>             in the USB device, it will lock hard. Requires a full
>             power-down (remove the battery) to get it back.

I must say this happened to me with FC1 2.4 kernel. (with a simple
power cycle to reboot) I've had other issues with the FC2T3 kernel as
well. (with USB-2 external HDD)

Looks like some of these are 2.6 kernel issues with the T40 (common
across distributions) - hopefully they get fixed.

Satish