[ltp] SuSE 9.1 on ThinkPad?

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 07 May 2004 23:06:52 -0700

At 07:26 PM 5/7/2004, Crispin Cowan wrote:

>I am running SuSE 9.1 Pro on a Thinkpad T40. Notable experiences:
>

>    * Sound works out of the box. First time that has ever happened for
>      me on a new laptop.

Sound worked OOTB on T20, with RH7.1 and then SuSE7.3.  IBM doesn't
actively discourage linux vendors from setting it up.  SuSE9.1 works far
better on the T40 than on my "desktop" box, where I have to admit RH EL3 is
doing better, aside from having no video drivers beyond generic VESA.

>    * The T40 ships with at least three different mini-PCI WiFi cards.
>      Mine came with the Intel Pro 2100 card.
>          o SuSE correctly detected and identified the card, but the
>            driver SuSE installed never worked.

SuSE doesn't install the Intel firmware file, nor give any
assistance.  Once it's in, and YaST configured, the radio comes on, but I'm
still trying to get it to associate to my router instead of my neighbor's
weak signal.

Tim Prince