[ltp] slow kernel loading

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 May 2004 17:32:03 -0400

On Saturday 08 May 2004 04:19 pm, Wolf Wiegand wrote:
> Sebastian Wegener wrote:
> > but when booting linux, the loading of the kernel image take quite a long
> > time
>
> Are you using lilo? Putting a line saying 'compact' into lilo.conf
> worked for me.

Yes, this should be the solution.  Put it in the global options section at the
beginning of the file.  Don't forget to run lilo as root after making the
edit.

In case you care why this works I'll offer the following.  LILO makes a read
request for each sector that contains part of the kernel.  On some drives,
this can be very slow, so compact causes the separate read requests to be
combined into one when the sectors are adjacent to each other on the disk.

For even more info, see man lilo.conf
--
/g