[ltp] Hard disk ignoring hdparm? (Not spinning down)

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:04:28 +0200

On Di, 2004-05-11 at 21:07, Christoph Singer wrote:
> I really don't know what to do - I can set "hdparm -B 1 -S 1", but the
> drive never goes to standby mode (and hdparm -C always reports
> "active/idle").

> I'm quite sure that no process is accessing the disk, because if I do a
> hdparm -y the drives spins down and remains in standby mode for some
> minutes.

I once had exactly the same problem with my Hitachi hard disk.

For me it turned out, that the culprit was the "SMART Auto Offline Data
Collection", I had turned on with the smartctl application.
With this setting active, the drive did never spin down on its own, but
stayed in standby for several minutes (using laptop-mode) after "hdparm
-y".

However, you don't mention any change you might have made in this
direction, so I don't think this is the solution for you.
Unfortunately, I don't have another idea, sorry.

Greetings, UW(e)