[ltp] old-ish Thinkpad 310 + linux + no sound?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:07:40 -0400

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 15:43, after a long battle with technology,
Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:00:41 +0100
> "Atwood, Robert C" <r.atwood@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I have rehabilitated an oldish IBM thinkpad , model 310,  with a
> > newer hard drive and Gnu/Linux OS (based on redhat 9) except I
> > cannot get the sound device to work
> If you're using Red Hat 9, can the "sndconfig" utility detect the
> card? If not, that model seems to have been advertised as having
> Soundblaster Pro support

If the marketing says "Soundblaster compatible", that means *nothing*.
Nothing at all.  It's almost certain that the sound card is on the ISA
bus, which makes things difficult.  The Thinkpad 310 is not listed on
linux-on-laptops.com or tuxmobil.org.  There is a brief web page at
http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~chongss/thinkpad310ed.html which says the
soundcard is an OPL3-SAX card, but doesn't go into any details about
which modprobe commands were used.  I checked
through /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/OPL* for details , but it's
kind of murky.  Read those files yourself and try the commands they
suggest--don't know what else to try.  HTH,

--
   "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb. "Necessity
   is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.