[ltp] old-ish Thinkpad 310 + linux + no sound?

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 19:17:21 -0400

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 15:00, Atwood, Robert C wrote:
> Dear List Members
> I have rehabilitated an oldish IBM thinkpad , model 310,  with a newer
> hard drive and Gnu/Linux OS (based on redhat 9, compiled a kernel with
> 2-4-24 and swsusp) and it works fantastic for many purposes, except I
> cannot get the sound device to work, I assume it is because I don't know
> which sound card module in the kernel configuration should be used.
>
> Does anyone either know what this should be, or know where I can find
> out, or how to guess effectively :-?

The IBM support site lists the 310E with a Yamaha YMF715 (16-bit)
[http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=RJJR-3RVKKP]

The driver docs identifies the chip as YAMAHA OPL3-SAx
[ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/aftpaw9x.txt]

The ALSA Soundcard Matrix lists the YMF715 under the
snd-opl3sa2 module
[http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Yamaha&card=&chip=YMF715&module=opl3sa2] so you might want to start there.

Also, just for curiosity, does lspci have any listings that might be
useful?

> (Too bad the list doesn't go back as far as the time when this model was
> new.)
>
> I do not have any original docs for this machine.

IBM Support has several docs that might be helpful.
[http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/], especially "Browse By
Product" => Thinkpad 310 ;-)

> Thanks,
> Robert

You probably already know, but there is a recall of power adapters on
some 310s.  Free replacement.
[http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q=thinkpad+recall&uid=psg1MIGR-4HT3R9&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en]

Don't toast yourself,
Kevin