[ltp] weird trouble in FC1 on TP770X

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 May 2004 08:56:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Shingo Tamaru wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having a very weired problem in my system and need your help.
>
> I just installed Fedora Core 1 onto my TP770X whose CPU was
> upgraded to PIII-500. This system worked just fine after installation.
> Next I updated the system by executing 'yum update'. This update
> also went through with no problem. The kernel is now 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.
> Mozilla was also updated to mozilla-1.4.1-18.
>
> Then the problem happened. After this update, mozilla does not
> accept any key stroke. If I try to type in a url, or operate using
> a short-cut key, mozilla just freezes. It still responds mouse
> clicking. So I can browse web pages linked from the FC1 home
> page.
>
> I reversed the version of the kernel and mozilla to the ones right
> after the initial installation with no avail. I think this problem is
> specific to TP770X since I have been using FC1 on my T20 and
> Compaq desktop and never had such a strange problem. I don't
> know if this problem has anything to do with the upgraded CPU
> or not, but I doubt it since other programs are working fine.
>
> So I have absolutely no clue what causes this problem. I would
> appreciate if you can give my any advice about how to troubleshoot.

I would sugest creating a new 'user' account - logging into it - and
testing the updated mozilla/kernel - to see if this is reproduceable.

If reproduceable , you could try running memtest86 overnight (can be
done with FC1 install disk)

Mostlikely there is something in ~/.mozilla (or some ~/.file) that is
causing mozilla grief.

BTW: I use epiphany 1.0.8 over mozilla 1.6 on FC1. You could try using
this version and see it it behaves better.
(from http://apt.sw.be/redhat/fc1/en/i386/dag)

Satish