[ltp] R50 under Debian : bios update possible ? + recovery cd's question

Didrik Pinte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 May 2004 12:51:02 +0200

Le ven 14/05/2004 à 12:45, Christoph Singer a écrit :
> On 13.05.2004 15:10, Didrik Pinte wrote:
> > Subsequent question : as I do not have any predesktop area, I asked the
> > recory cd's to IBM... It seems that recovery cd's does repartition all
> > the disk and not only offer the ability to reinstall XP on specific
> > partition. Am I right ?
>
> I recently reinstalled XP from the recovery cd's and was prepared to
> find the whole disk repartitioned - but that wasn't the case. The
> recovery program only reformatted the first partition (Drive C: in
> windows) and didn't touch my Linux partitions (I have a swap partition
> in hda2 and the root partition in hda3).
> So I think, if you left hda1 as a FAT32 partition for Windows, the
> recovery program will not touch other partitions (at least it didn't on
> my R40).
> But you can't tell the recovery program to install Windows into another
> partition than hda1.
>
> Christoph

I think the question is : does the recovery CD reinstall XP on the first
FAT32 partition ? or is it mandatory that the first partition of the
disk will be used for reinstall... ?

In my case, I have
	/dev/hda1 - swap
	/dev/hda2 - ext3
	/dev/hda3 - fat32 (my future XP installation)
	/dev/hda4 - fat32 (shared partition)

I've found another solution. Using my XP product key, on the back of my
latpop, i can install a new XP using an official CD from a friend. I've
also made a backup copy of the directory drivers and tools from the
original XP install.

Didrik