[ltp] T40 / SuSE 9.1 Resolution & Fonts

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 May 2004 15:11:15 -0400 (EDT)

	So when I installed SuSE 9.1 and went into X-Windows, it
complained that it couldn't detect the monitor size, and it set a default
DPI.  The fonts were kind of on the small size.  I have a T40p with 14"
1400x1050 screen.  I measured it and put a DisplaySize in my XF86Config
(285mm x 215mm), which comes out to 124 DPI (though one of the xdpyinfo
fields reports 287x215, so maybe I ought to go with that).

	Anyway, the end result is that now my fonts are kind of on the big
side.  I don't fit as much text as I'd expect a window's title bar, some
programs like YOU mash the text in their default screen size, the menu is
huge, browser text is on the big side, etc.

	I suppose I could either put in a false DisplaySize, or adjust all
the default font sizes down in the KDE control center.  I wondered if
anyone else had thoughts on whether this is normal on a screen this size,
and what the best way to fix it would be.  I don't have this problem with
the 2 desktops I've put SuSE 9.1 on, but I sit somewhat further from the
monitors and the DPI for those works out to be in the 95-99 range anyway.

Thanks,
	Aaron