[ltp] Re: T41 high-pitched noise

Volker Braun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 May 2004 14:19:44 -0400

Hi,

I think that some noise is unavoidable, as with every piece of electronics
containing high voltage/high frequency parts. If its only audible in a
quiet room then I'd consider that normal. About the same as a muted TV.

Ethernet activity is the best example, I can clearly hear when large
chunks of data are transmitted. That is pretty much unavoidable unless you
want to add a few dozen pounds of shielding to your notebook.

It is funny but not too surprising that you can distinguish the
booted os since various bus activity patterns change.

Of course there is also the "I'm about to die" kind of noise, which is not
normal :-)

Best,
Volker