[ltp] old-ish Thinkpad 310 + linux + no sound?

Atwood, Robert C linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 May 2004 12:14:22 +0100

It is a 310 ED type 2600, and yes it is covered by the recall! So far it
has never caught on fire.

>Also, just for curiosity, does lspci have any listings that might be
useful?

For the "Ali" pcmcia card bus and "Chips&tech" video chip only, I did
not see anything that appeared to refer to the sound card, nor anything
that I could not figure out what it was for. Once I get it bootable
again (*oops*) I can copy the exact output if anyone is curious.=20

>It's almost certain that the sound card is on the ISA bus, which makes
things difficult.

Hmm. How does one detect this ? Maybe the module to deal with it is not
in the default install, but I believe I put it in my compiled kernel
(but I did not put the sound module in..)
=20

I tried manually insterting the soundblaster  and the OPL3 modules , but
I always get the "dev/dsp: no such device" type of message.=20

Perhaps I need to manually specify an irq/interrupt?  I assume I can
find a HOWTO (did not install them directly on the machine but I can
read them from here) about how to pass the parameters, but how can I
identify what they should be? Or should it use the PNP method (which I
never figured out when it was new?)=20

I suppose I could reinstall windows, then look what parameters it has,
then reinstall linux, but that seems like too much work and/or
collaboration with the enemy :-)
=20

Alternately I could try every possible combination of parameters, in a
script... is this a really bad idea for reasons I have not thought of?

=20