[ltp] Using IPW2100 on a R50

Jean-Louis Leroy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 09:33:08 +0200

Nils <pub@wigginghaus.de> writes:

> eth1: Using hotplug firmware load.
> eth1: Firmware not available or load failed
> eth1: ipw2100_get_firmware failed: -2

I had a similar problem installing ipw2100 on my x40. I followed the
instructions from http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/, downloaded the
firmware and followed the instructions for installing it for hotplug.

Unfortunately the instructions were vague as to where the firmware
should go.

Digging around in the docs, I found out that the driver can be
installed without hotplug and for that it gave a precise location
(something like /etc/.../firmware - I don't have my x40 here).

Instead of patching the kernel and setting that option via 'make
config' I simply hacked the driver's main header, compiled, installed,
and it worked.

HTH.
--
Jean-Louis Leroy