[ltp] R40 - problems with double boot

Atwood, Robert C linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 12:03:18 +0100

On my desktop machines I have always created fat-32 instead of ntfs
filesyetems whenever I had the choice. I have not noticed any
significant penalty for this; I have some comparison since I do not have
this choice on every machine I work with.

One of the clear benefits has been the ease of accessing the data under
Linux eg. when Windoze decides to take a holiday and you still need to
get the data, or even for repairing the boot.ini (though to be honest
the times I have had to do that were pretty much my fault) =20

I have not tried extensive 'experimental' writing to ntfs systems, so I
cannot comment on how seriously to take the warning .. but it was enough
to put me off trying.=20

On the Thinkpad 310 I tried creating a fat16 partition to hold a small
windows-NT-4 installation but it would not start up. Win-2k would start
but was just too slow for practical use.=20

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org] On Behalf Of Michelle
Klein-Hass
Sent: 19 May 2004 03:52
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Re: [ltp] R40 - problems with double boot

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 09:11 am, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:

> If you do have SUSE 9.0 then please see
>
>   http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#troubleshoot

I'm thinking about ditching the Knoppix to HD install that's currently
on my=20
ThinkPad 600E and going with SuSE 9.1, since SuSE has a great track
record of=20
working 100% right out of the box on ThinkPads. However, I have to keep
a=20
Windows 2K partition going as well, and I think I might put a DOS
partition=20
for the sake of keeping PS2.EXE and a hibernation partition when I get a
new=20
hard drive.

Would using FAT32 instead of NTFS sidestep this problem? I have no
qualms=20
about using FAT32. Yeah NTFS gives you a journal and extra security
goodies=20
but this is just my laptop, I'm not going to be carrying around secrets
of=20
either State or some big corporation. ;-)

Let me know,
Michelle
--=20
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273
Brought to you by Linux, KDE and KMail...try it, you'll like it!
--=20