[ltp] hangs on startup (logo screen)

Robert Svoboda linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:10:55 +0200

Hello list,

I have Thinkpad R40 running Gentoo. Some two weeks ago I
started to experience hangs on startup screen (screen with
colored text IBM Thinkpad and message saying to press blue
Access IBM button to access BIOS).

It just shows the screen and then nothing. I can press that
Access IBM button and message about pressing it disappears but
that's all.

I have to try it approximately 10 times to start it normally
sometimes, sometimes everything works well for a few reboots.
So far, I'm not able to predict when it's going to happen.

I tried to disable every boot device except HDD, which seemed
to help, but few reboots and again I was in the same
situation.

And there is more, sometimes, when I successfuly pass the
startup screen, booting grub takes very long time, say 10
times longer than usual. I can live with it, because then it
always boots.

Any help?

Thank you,
Robert