[ltp] Re: RE: [ltp] lm-sensors

Niel Lambrechts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 May 2004 22:48:08 +0200

>From http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php:

DSDT is an acronym for Differentiated System Description Table. This
table contains the Differentiated Definition Block, which supplies the
information and configuration information about the base system. It is
always inserted into the ACPI Namespace by the OS at boot time.
Unfortunately, many hardware vendors and OEMs are not capable of
supplying fully functional tables (not even the members of the ACPI
SIG), see also the blacklist. So there is a need to patch these tables
by us. :)

It doesn't matter if the R40 or R50 differs in other ways, you should
still inspect this if you want low level power management functions to
work properly. It's worth the effort...

The table is one of the first things that gets loaded when your thinkpad
boots, if it is faulty (the DSDT on both versions R50P BIOS I tried was
faulty) - certain things do not work properly (perhaps sensors not
working or fans not stopping). If it is faulty, you can compile your own
and build in into your kernel.

This page explains the procedure quite nicely - the process looks
difficult but even I managed to do it! (I have no background in BIOS
programming)
http://home.fhtw-berlin.de/~s0502837/r31/

Regards,
Niel