Re[2]: [ltp] Backing up the Predesktop Area?

Wolfgang Rether linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 19:47:21 +0200

Hi,

>> Has anybody of you managed to read that partition? Would it be
>> possible to back it up with "dd" like this?
>> dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/ibm_predesktop.bin bs=512 conv=notrunc,noerror
>>
> that would work - just make sure that you also backup a copy of the
> partition table so you'll know where to restore your dump.

> I think it would be easier to use partimage
> never tried it myself...

I just tried to do so, but it copies only 2 records (1024 bytes).
Seems it's rather an extended partition... but there's no entry for an
additional logical partition in that extended one?! I think,
manipulating the partition table by hand will just kill it...

Wolfgang