[ltp] Backing up the Predesktop Area?

Tony Whitmore linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 20:15:46 +0100

Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 08:41:25PM +0200, Wolfgang Rether wrote:
>
>>On 20.05.2004 at 20:20, Eric C. Cooper wrote:
>>

>>>Or you can get the recovery CDs from IBM support at no cost, and then
>>>delete the pre-desktop area.
>>
>>I think it's just the other way around;-) You first have to delete it
>>and then you may get the CDs... I read something like they won't send
>>you the CD set if you also have the HPA installed because you would
>>have two complete recovery sets then. So I will at least have to
>>claim, I killed the HPA;-)
>>
>>btw: Here's the link to the IBM whitepaper:
>>http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-46023.html
>

> When I asked for mine this didn't come up at all.  They just took down
> my address and sent them by express delivery.

My experience tallies with Wolfgang's. The same reason - they couldn't
send me the CDs whilst I had the recovery partition intact. A fair few
people have reported that they called saying they were upgrading to a
bigger hard drive which would not contain the recovery partition and
were sent the disks.

It seems to be that it comes down to the individual support tech, as per
normal!

Cheers,

Tony