[ltp] 2.6 kernel acpi howtos

Niel Lambrechts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 22:54:45 +0200

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 16:59, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2004, Lance A. Brown wrote:
>
> > > the madwifi card freaks out when the laptop scales back the cpu.
>
> Hmm. I've been using 'cpudyn' on FC1 with madwifi without issues.  And
> FC2 briefly with APM - and 'cpuspeed?' which did the freqscaling
>
> > > to use apm i bet you just have to pass acpi=off at the kernel prompt and
> > > install apmd.
> >
> > Going to try this as well.  If I can get back to a nice suspend-to-ram
> > situation that worked as well as it did with FC1 / kernel 2.4 than
> > I'll be happy.
>
> Another reason for APM is - e1000 driver doesn't work with ACPI. It
> misbehaves after suspend/resume (haven't tried unloading the driver
> before S3 though..)
>
> Satish

I just cannot agree with this. I am using madwifi from CVS (at this
moment to write this e-mail), and everyday I switch from wifi to
ethernet (at work) without any hint of a problem. I use the same e1000
driver with no issues at all? I only know about one issue with S3 - and
that is that USB drivers must be unloaded prior to suspending (or
ehci-hcd will croak). I have successfully used S3, but now I am
preferring swsusp2, because S3 chews about 25% battery life per night of
suspending...

I also use cpufreqd without any issues.

I have emphasise that I probably would not be happy with ACPI if it
wasn't for someone's thinkpad page on how to fix IBM's broken dsdt.

Regards,
Niel