[ltp] hangs on startup (logo screen)

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:48:49 -0700

Tim Prince wrote:

> Apparently, you didn't find your F2 key, as was suggested on your
> screen, or you would have informed us what was showing at the hang.
> On my dual boot system,  I obeyed my employer's "suggestion" to
> "upgrade" to Office 2003.  The first few times I attempted to reboot
> from Windows to SuSE 9.1, it hung attempting to access the network
> cards.  This could be corrected by powering off before reboot.  Now
> this problem has disappeared, and eth0 has no problems, while eth1
> (ipw2100) continues to behave (poorly) as before.

I use SuSE 9.1 on my T40. I have also experienced random hangs at boot
time. I have not yet found anything repeatable to associate with these
hangs. I definitely have not done anything involving Office 2003 on my
Windows XP partition, and in fact the random hangs are not associated at
all with bootting into Windows; they happen in repeated Linux reboots.

I do know where my F2 key is, however :) The hangs seem to always happen
around PCMCIA or PCI scans (I don't remember which at the moment).

> I think this is outside the scope of this thread, but the ipw2100
> associates only if the router is set to broadcast essid and disable
> WEP.  Even then, SuSE shows a failure to access type-wlan at boot (but
> no longer hangs there), and the ipw2100 never communicates.
> kwifimanager comes up with strong signal and correct essid but no ap.
> Attempting to set ap in iwconfig has no effect.

That is consistent with my experience with the ipw2100. With version
0.41 of the driver, my machine would hang randomly due to wireless
assocation failures. Since I "upgraded" from 0.41 to 0.39 :) it has been
more stable. The ipw2100 driver is still flaky and loses association at
random, dropping the network. But with 0.39, it no longer uses hotplug,
and so now does not hang the machine when the network driver fails.
"ifdown eth1; ifup eth1" recovers the network most of the time.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com