[ltp] Backing up the Predesktop Area?

Alex North linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 May 2004 19:28:51 +1000

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:00:54 +0200, Wolfgang Rether
<Wolfgang.Rether@web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just disabled the "hide" option of the Predesktop Area in the BIOS
> of my T41p. Now i wonder if it's possible to backup (or at least read)
> the formerly hidden partition?
<snip>
> Has anybody of you managed to read that partition? Would it be
> possible to back it up with "dd" like this?
> dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/ibm_predesktop.bin bs=512 conv=notrunc,noerror

Yeah. I disabled the pre-desktop then told fdisk there was a fat partition
in the free space. dd the partition, then delete it and extend the
existing one (after backing up/writing down the partition table info).

Of course, I haven't tried to restore it :) From my own experience and
people I have spoken with you can't get recovery CD's free in Australia.

Alex
--
Using M2, http://www.opera.com/m2/