[ltp] Re: Backing up the Predesktop Area?

Fri, 21 May 2004 14:58:40 +0300

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:01:00PM +0200, Georg Sauthoff wrote:
> The HPA begins right after the last sector available, if the Protection i=
s=20
> enabled in the BIOS.

My BIOS (Thinkpad T23) does not have an option to disable the HPA, so I
have to append hda=3Dstroke to the kernel command line in lilo.conf to
access it.

> So you have to use '/dev/hda' as 'if' and the 'skip' option.

Can you ask dd to seek to a given position in the input file rather than
reading and discarding ~40 gigs of data that is done if you specify
'skip'?  AFAIU 'seek' only works on the output file.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
> find /lib/modules/2.4.17-expt/kernel/ -type f|while read i; do insmod $i;=
 done
You're sick.  I like you.
	-- Andrew Morton on lkml

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd